When a senior parent moves into an assisted living facility it creates a lot of changes for everyone involved. You have to make a new routine for visiting them and they have to become adjusted to their new home.
Regular visits are important for your parent because it helps make the adjustments easier. You can make these visits memorable by providing enjoyable activities to do together. You might be wondering what these activities are…….
Plan ahead by providing fun assisted living activities for you next visit. These entertaining ideas can include:
Enjoying creating crafts together are a joyful way to make something memorable. You can gain ideas from websites or magazines like Country Living, Pinterest, or Martha Stewart. Some craft ideas are:
- Suncatchers: Make your home sparkle by crafting a suncatcher to hang in your window. You can create a lightweight suncatcher out of mason jar lids and coloring sheets or go a little heavier and use glass stones.
- Scrap-fabric magnets: Want a cute way to use up those old bits of fabric? Add a bit of felt and turn them into adorable ladybug magnets.
- Clay jewelry charms: Create some one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces by shaping your own unique charms out of polymer clay.
- Pressed flowers: Gather some flowers and arrange them creatively between two sheets of wax paper. Place a heavy book on top to weigh the flowers down and let it sit overnight. Once the flowers are totally flat, you can laminate them or use them to decorate greeting cards, bookmarks, coasters, photo frames, and more.
If it’s the holiday season create crafts based on specific holidays that can celebrate specific times of the year. Use these homemade gifts to decorate your loved-ones room for holiday cheer.
Games are an enjoyable way to share time together. Figure out which one your parent loves to play and get ready for the laughs and light competition. Pull out some of these classics:
- Cards: A deck of cards provides an array of games to enjoy, from Go Fish to poker and everything in-between. A standard deck offers 52 playing cards with four suites.
- Scrabble: Scrabble is a great game that requires critical thinking and blends it with the entertainment of a word puzzle.This game is especially fun for seniors who enjoy crossword puzzles and word searches.
- Chess and Checkers: Everyone has some experience with one or both of these games of wit. Chess and checkers are great games to play with the elderly. Both games are easy to learn and highlight creative problem-solving and strategy as fundamental portions of the game.
- Monopoly: This timeless board game of fast deals and property trading is a classic for sure at 8 years old, no matter what pieces are included now.
Have a book that you can both read and discuss when you see each other. This makes for interesting conversations and something to share. Find out what type of books they are interested in and allow for them to share what they have learned. Popular books for seniors:
- Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand
- The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones
- The Blossom Sisters
- Notes from the Midnight Driver
- Prime of Life
Make your visits to assisted living amusing and interesting by adding variety to your loved one’s day. You can use these tips to to plan some fun activities for your next visit.
The Victorian Assisted Living and Retirement Community
The Victorian is an assisted living and retirement community that makes living independently, while at the same time feeling safe and secure, a reality. We strive to provide the best quality of life for all residents including those suffering from loneliness and depression.
We offer a comprehensive activity program that includes both physical and social activities to encourage emotional well-being. Our staff is trained to assist those with depression. If you or a loved one are considering assisted living, contact The Victorian today to learn more about our services or tour our community.